Old, unwanted backup files left over after upgrades or new installations can take up a lot of disk space. Yes, you can delete some of these files. But what if we tell you that there are other folders that contain old backup data? Don’t worry, you don’t have to search for your own data. We will tell you how to delete backup files in Windows 10.
Windows 10 is undoubtedly one of the most feature-rich operating systems Microsoft has ever released. Windows 10 has its own automatic options for removing unwanted files, such as. B. old drivers or maybe even junk left over from operating system updates. But there are some files that are not recognized. And then you have to delete those folders and files manually.
What are backup files?
The backup files contain a copy of your system’s operating system. It may also contain data and settings for your operating system. Files are only saved at certain events. You may have rebooted the system because of slow performance, software issues, or maybe even a driver update that caused some features to not work even after the driver was reset. Backup files are also created when Windows downloads and installs a newer version of the operating system.
Backing up files is useful when a newly installed update behaves abnormally. These files contain restore points that you can use to restore the system to a point in time before the update was installed.
And when we talk about application backups, these backups contain temporary files created by different applications. It also contains settings for various applications and services that run on Windows. And here we also tell you how to delete app backup files in Windows 10.
Now if you have backup files that you no longer need, we’ll show you how to delete backup files in Windows 10. Later in this guide we will also talk about deleting application backups, so stay tuned.
Best practices for deleting backup files in Windows 10
Here are some methods you can use to delete backup files. Each method works differently. You can also use these methods to delete old Windows 8 and Windows 7 backup files.
Message: You need to follow all the methods mentioned in this guide to free up more space in Windows 10.
Method 1 – Cleaning up protected system files
System protected files, or we can also call them system restore points, are exactly the same files that you can easily find by name. Restore points are created for backup purposes, so that if Windows encounters a problem, you can go back to that restore point. This is a handy feature, but creating many system restore points takes up a lot of system space. It is therefore advisable to clean it regularly. You can delete all restore points and create a new restore point so that there is only one restore point.
- To access the restore points, first locate and open the Show Advanced System Settings section.
- If you can’t find it with the above step, look for the system properties protection in Run.
- Now click the System Security tab in the System Properties
- Now click the Configure button to configure and delete system restore points
backup files .
- Once you have set the location, all you have to do is click Delete.
This way you can get your storage space back. You can also limit the maximum data usage for system recovery.
Method 2 – remove backup files using the Disk Cleanup utility.
There is another method to delete Win backup files. Disk Cleanup is another useful utility that not only allows you to delete temporary files, but also previous installation files.
The Windows.old file is one of the unused files that are created on the C drive when Windows is upgraded. This is usually a large file, on the order of a gigabyte, that needs to be deleted. You can also use Disk Cleanup to remove old Windows .old files.
- Go to Start and type Disk Cleanup in the search box.
- Open the Disk Cleaner application and select the main Windows drive. You can also open Disk Cleanup in the Windows disk properties (C).
- Now click on Delete System Files in the Cleanup Disk section for drive C. Give administrator permission if asked.
- Under Files to delete, select Windows Temporary installation files. You can also select other files to delete.
- After you have selected the files, you can delete them by clicking the OK button.
Message: The Windows.old folder will be removed using this method. Normally Windows deletes this folder automatically after a while, but you can also delete it manually by opening the drive on which Windows is installed. Scroll down a bit and you’ll see the Windows.old folder. To delete a folder, press the Delete key.
Method 3 – Clear file history
Deleting file history is our next method in the Windows 10 guide to deleting backup files. File history can be another reason for running out of free disk space. This happens in the following cases For example, if you have a document and you make a change in it. Windows makes a copy of that particular file and saves it in a different location.
Suppose you have a video file that you edit in Premiere Pro that you save multiple times after 15-20 minutes, Windows will continue to make copies of that file based on the number of times you saved that particular file. In this way, the memory space is filled.
Message: This method only works if you have enabled file history. If you don’t have one, you can do without this method.
You delete these file backups:
- Open the Windows settings on your PC.
- Select the Update and Security option. Now select Backup and click on Advanced Settings.
- Here you can set how often the Backup My Files and Keep My Files folders are backed up and deleted. The default settings are forever for them. If you change the default, Windows may decide whether or not to create and delete these backups.
- If you don’t want anything to do with Windows’ file history, you can simply turn it off by selecting the Don’t use this disk again option. This will permanently stop the file history and thus erase all backups made.
- Another way to get rid of the history of saved files is to use the PowerShell command.
- Right-click in the Start menu and select Windows PowerShell(Admin).
- Once you are in PowerShell, type fhmanagew.exe -cleanup 0 and press enter. This command deletes the last backups. Another number can be entered instead of 0 (it is provided for dialling days). This tells Windows that the backups will be kept for a longer period of time.
This is an important method to delete backup files in Windows 10. This frees up memory and also increases speed. You must follow all methods if you want to free up more space. There are many backup files stored in different locations and deleting these backup files requires different processes. So let’s move on to the next step, deleting Win backups.
Method 4 – Manually delete backup files on Windows 10
This is one of the easiest ways to get rid of the cache and other configuration files. Because of its simplicity, this is the most common method of creating space in your system. These backup files contain dump files and other temporary files. And you can delete it because it automatically saves itself to your Windows drive and takes up a lot of space.
- To get started, just press Windows and the letter R. The startup dialog box appears.
- You can type Temp in the search field (you can also search for %temp% and Prefetch).
- Once you have entered it, simply press the Enter key. This will take you to the temp folder where all the temporary and cache files are located.
- Now press the Ctrl and A keys to select the entire contents of the folder.
- Press the Delete key. You may be prompted for system administrator rights, select Yes. This will remove all temporary files. If it is stored in the Recycle Bin, you can also remove it from there or delete it permanently using the key combination Shift + Delete.
You can repeat the above steps by running %temp% and Prefetch in the startup dialog. Select the internal content and delete everything.
So here are some ways to delete backup files in Windows. But what about the application’s backup files. Yes, the application backup files are different and stored in different locations. These files also consume a lot of memory and slow down the system. So how do I delete this backup application files? Well, we have covered you, below you will know different methods to remove application backup files from your system.
Remove backup files from applications in Windows 10
To delete backups of Windows 10 apps, you can use the following methods.
Method 1 – Manually delete an application backup in Windows 10
It is an easy way to get rid of backup files of unnecessary applications that we do not need on our PC. In fact, you should repeat this process often to remove application backups on a regular basis.
- First, open the Run dialog box on your computer with the key combination Win + R.
- In the Run dialog box, type %localappdata% and press Enter.
- The file store where the backups of the various applications are stored opens.
- Now select all files (you can use Ctrl + A).
- To delete these files, click Delete or press Shift + Del to permanently remove these application backups from the system.
Message: These files contain saved files and settings from various applications. Therefore, deleting these files may restore the default settings in some applications. In this case, do not choose an application for which you do not want to remove packages and restore the settings.
Method 2: Delete temporary files
Temporary files also contain the cache and settings of standard Windows applications. And you can also remove them with a simple procedure.
This method is similar to method 2 for deleting backup files.
- Go to Start and type Disk Cleanup in the search box.
- Open the Disk Cleanup application and select the primary Windows drive (drive C).
- Now select the temporary files, you can also select other files you want to delete.
- Then click OK to delete these files.
So here are six effective methods to delete backup files in Windows 10. Deleting these files will not harm the operating system. However, this may reset your settings for some applications, so use these methods at your own risk.
You may also like – how to add Xbox friends in Windows 10
If you have a wish, please leave it in the comments section. Share this article with your friends too.
frequently asked questions
How do I remove backup files from Windows 10?
How do I delete backed up Windows files?
Remove Windows 6 backup files…
How do I permanently delete backups?
Feedback,where are windows 10 backup files storedhow to stop backup in windows 10where is windows 7 backup files storedwindows 10 files i can deletewindows update backup files locationhow to delete backup files from external hard drive windows 10,People also search for,how to delete backup files from external hard drive windows 10,where are windows 10 backup files stored,how to remove windows 7 backup from windows 10,how to stop backup in windows 10,where is windows 7 backup files stored,how to delete files from hard drive windows 10,windows 10 files i can delete,windows update backup files location