.OST and .PST files are simply files that hold data used by Microsoft Outlook, a program used to manage and view email addresses and other contact information. Both .OST and .PST files are innately the same files, but their names are used to describe the different functions the files serve. .PST files are for personal use, while .OST files are often used for businesses who use Microsoft Outlook. (.PST files are still used for all purposes, but .OST files are only used to share information between multiple Outlook accounts.)
A .OST file is a Microsoft Exchange Offline Storage table that is used to store the offline data of the users. If the OST file of the user is corrupted, then the user will face multiple issues, such as slow speed of the system, unnecessary errors, and many other issues. Here are some steps that you need to follow to repair the corrupt PST file in an effective manner:
Recover Outlook .OST and .PST data files
Dealing with corrupted Outlook data files is never fun. This can cause Outlook to crash, behave strangely, or not be able to send or receive email. Fortunately, recovering Outlook data files is relatively easy, just follow a few steps.
How to find Outlook data files
If you have never had a problem with Outlook data files, you will find it difficult. Fortunately, you can easily check their location. Here’s how:
- In Outlook, choose File > Account Settings.
- Click on the Data files tab.
- Here you will find all your Outlook data files (.PST) and offline data files (.OST) with the name of the account they are associated with.
How to recover .OST files
- Forecasts close.
- Open the computer’s control panel.
- Open User Accounts and select Mail.
- In the Email Settings window, click View Profiles.
- Select the profile containing the .OST file that you are having problems with. If you use the default profile, it’s just called Outlook.
- Click on Properties.
- Click to copy…. email accounts
- Click on the Data Files tab and select the account whose .OST file is corrupted.
- Click to access the file location….
- Close the Account Setup, Mail Setup, and Mail Setup windows.
- For the account that is experiencing problems, right click on the .OST file and delete it.
- Open Outlook again. Outlook automatically creates a new .OST file to replace the one you just deleted. It will be brand new, with no damage or defects, and any issues you had should be resolved.
How to repair .PST data files with Inbox Repair Tool
If you are getting an error message that Outlook cannot open your .PST file, if you cannot open Outlook at all, or if you have other reasons to believe that your .PST file may be corrupted, here is what you need to do.
Inbox Repair Tool is the fastest and easiest way to fix problems with .PST files. If you think your .PST file has a problem but you are not sure, don’t worry. You can run the Inbox repair tool even if your .PST file turns out to be clean. It can’t hurt to operate. Here’s how:
- Forecasts close.
- Go to the Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE15 folder. The number at the end of the Office file name may vary depending on the version of Windows you are using.
- Open the file SCANPST.EXE.
- Use the Browse function to select the .PST file that you want to check for corruption.
- Select Start to start scanning.
- If the check finds errors, choose Correct to correct them. The program will guide you through the steps to follow.
- Once the repair is complete, restart Outlook to make sure everything is working properly again.
Now that you have these Outlook repair skills, you won’t have to stress so much when your Outlook isn’t working! Just follow a few troubleshooting steps to solve all the problems with your .PST and .OST files, and most of your problems will be solved much faster than if you had spent hours troubleshooting.
This source has been very much helpful in doing our research. Read more about locating the outlook data files and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix a problem with Outlook PST and OST data files?
If you are facing the problem of data loss from Outlook PST and OST files then you should try using the Inbox Repair Tool. If you are using Outlook as an email client, every time you send or receive emails new PST files get created that store the emails. Also, Outlook creates OST file if you are using Exchange Server. In case if your Outlook PST or OST files get corrupted then you need to repair it as soon as possible. There are many reasons for corruption of PST files. The PST and OST files are the most important data files of Microsoft Outlook. They contain all the emails, contacts, calendar events, tasks, notes, etc. of the users. Whenever the files become corrupt, it has to be repaired. But, repairs of PST and OST data files are not possible with the inbuilt tools of Microsoft Outlook. For this purpose, the services of third-party tools and software are required. These tools and software help you to repair the files and save the emails, notes, contacts, etc.
How do I repair a corrupt OST file?
If you are using Microsoft Outlook, you may be aware that Microsoft does not allow you to import the Outlook .ost file to a different email client. But, what if you are not using Microsoft Outlook and you want to send an .ost file to another Outlook user? It is a simple task to convert an .ost file to a .pst file with the help of OST to PST Converter software which is available online. If you want to know how to repair corrupt OST file Outlook 365, then this is the right place. Corrupt OST (Offline Storage Table) files are quite common when dealing with Microsoft Outlook, especially when using the Hotmail storage system. Luckily, there are a few ways to repair these files, although not all methods are the same. There are a few methods you can try, including some free options and some paid methods. The method you choose depends largely on the severity of the corruption, whether you need to recover a large amount of data, and your budget.
How do I restore my Outlook OST file?
If your computer has been infected by malware or a virus, you may be at risk of losing your data. Malware may also cause your computer to crash or slow down. If you have a malware infection or have installed a virus inadvertently, you may need to restore your computer from a previous backup. If you are unable to access your data and the computer is not infected, you may need to restore your computer from a previous backup. If you’ve lost your data, you may be able to recover it with the help of a data recovery specialist. Authors: Paula Peng (Twitter: @Paula_Peng) is an attorney and blogger who currently works at a New York-based international law firm. She You may have been given a warning message saying that outlook is not responding and you need to close the item. You may have received a warning message about the outlook OST file being corrupt and wanting you to restore it. Or you may just have the outlook OST file and want to know how to restore it.
Feedback,repair ost file outlook 365outlook data file cannot be openedscanpst.exe downloadlocating the outlook data filesrepair outlook data fileoutlook inbox repair tool,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,repair ost file outlook 365,outlook data file cannot be opened,scanpst.exe download,locating the outlook data files,repair outlook data file,outlook inbox repair tool,outlook data file cannot be found,repair pst file