For users of Windows 10, the most common error that occurs when trying to use Windows Defender to scan for malware is 0x80016ba, which indicates that the antivirus program has been disabled by another Windows application or service. It usually occurs when trying to run an update on Windows Defender, but it can also appear when trying to scan for malware in Windows Defender.
Windows Defender error 0x80016ba is a very common error that normally pops up due to a corrupt Windows Update file. When Windows Update is corrupted it can often be a nightmare to get things working again. This is a step by step guide that will help you resolve Windows Defender error 0x80016ba in Windows 10, or any version of Windows.
Windows Defender is a critical part of Windows 10’s antivirus/antimalware suite. It’s designed to protect your system against harmful viruses and malware, as well as spyware, which is software that tracks your web searches, e-mails, and other actions. When you install an antivirus or antimalware program, Windows Defender is disabled. It usually remains disabled even after you uninstall your antivirus program, so you need to enable it again.
Security updates are the most common in Windows 10, and it’s possible that one of them caused the bug in question. Currently, most updates roll out automatically, but depending on your settings they may be delayed. So it’s not a bad idea to manually check for updates. You can also uninstall the latest Windows Defender updates and check for improvements.
3. Exclude large compressed files (ZIP, ISO, CAB) from analysis
- Create a new folder and give it the name you want.
- Move all large archived files into this newly created folder.
- Open Windows Defender from the system tray.
- Select Virus and Threat Protection.Title : Windows Defender error 0016ba
- Open the virus and threat protection settings.title : Windows Defender error 0016ba
- Scroll down and click Add or Remove Exceptions.Title : Windows Defender error 0016ba
- Click Add Exception and select Folder from the drop-down menu.Title : Windows Defender error 0016ba
- Find the selected folder and add it as an exception.
Some users have found that large chunks of compressed data can also cause this error. In other words, the scan worked normally until the compressed or archived files appeared. At this point Defender crashes and an error message appears. This applies to all common file formats, from ISO files to Microsoft’s own CAB extensions. Compared to third-party utilities, Windows Defender has trouble finding file format exceptions.
Run a system check for errors
Press Start Scan to check for Windows problems. Press Repair Everything to troubleshoot proprietary technology. Run a PC scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors that cause security problems and slowdowns. Once the scan is complete, the recovery process replaces the damaged files with new Windows files and components. However, you can group all large archive files into a single folder and exclude that folder from future scans. This should prevent scanning errors. However, since these formats are all too often the source of malware, there is a certain danger factor. If you want to exclude a single folder from being scanned by Windows Defender, follow the steps above.
4. Check the Windows Defender service
- Uninstall the third-party antivirus and restart the computer.
- Press the Windows + R key combination to open the Run command line utility.
- At the command prompt, type services.msc and press Enter.Title : Windows Defender error 0016ba
- Scroll down to Windows Defender.Title antivirus service: Windows Defender error 0016ba
- It should run automatically (it is mandatory), but due to the presence of an alternative tool, it can switch to manual. If so, right click on it and open Properties.
- Set the start type to Automatic and confirm the changes.
- Restart your computer.
You cannot remove Windows Defender from Windows 10. It can be muted (as described above), but the special service continues to run in the background. Unless it is stopped manually or by a third-party antivirus program. This service is the likely cause of Windows Defender failure in many cases. After all, the special service should always run in the background and start automatically with the system shell. Especially if you use Windows Defender for real-time protection or scheduled scanning. Now, the Windows Defender service tends to stop for a reason. Some third-party utilities limit this, but if you are only using Windows Defender to protect your system, it should always be enabled. Therefore, we recommend that you check the special Windows Defender service as described in the steps above.
5. Resetting the computer
- Back up all important files from your system partition to your data partition, an external drive or the cloud.
- Press Windows + I to open the settings.
- Select Update and Security.Title : Windows Defender error 0016ba
- Choose Restore.
- Under Restart this PC, click the Start button.Title : Windows Defender error 0016ba
- Select Delete All and perform the restore operation.Title : Windows Defender error 0016ba
Finally, you can turn to recovery options to solve the problem completely and without risk of relapse. Namely, some users suspect that the system update is causing problems with Windows Defender on Windows 10. When some Windows 7 users upgraded to Windows 10, Microsoft Security Essentials was not removed correctly. This leads to a conflict between the new proprietary security solution and the old one. The best solution I can think of (aside from a full system reinstall) is to reset the computer to factory settings. This way, you actually get a brand new Windows 10 system with no conflicts with Windows 7 files. We agree that this may take time and you will lose some of your data. But we think it’s a small sacrifice for a well-functioning system. If you don’t know how to reset your computer to factory settings, follow the steps above. We hope our solutions have helped you solve Microsoft Security Essentials error code 0016ba in Windows 10. However, if you are still bothered by this built-in software, you can always install one of the best antivirus programs with an unlimited license to increase your security. We’re done. If you have an alternative approach or a question about the solutions listed, please let us know in the comments section. Still having problems? Repair them with this tool:
- Download this PC recovery tool with excellent reviews on TrustPilot.com (download starts on this page).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- Click Repair All to fix problems with patented technology (exclusive discount for our readers).
Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix a corrupted Windows Defender?
Windows Defender is the default security application in the Windows 8 operating system. It is designed to prevent viruses from infecting your computer. It works in conjunction with other applications such as SpyNet and Windows Firewall to protect your computer from malicious software. If you’re having problems with Windows Defender in Windows 10, don’t panic! Here are some fixes you can try to fix the problem.
How do I fix Windows Defender in Windows 10?
“How do I fix Windows Defender in Windows 10?” is a question that many Windows 10 users have wondered about. Though Windows Defender is the default antivirus in Windows 10, it is not infallible. Though there is no known malware targeting it, there have been issues where it has not been able to fend off some of the malware in the wild. Windows 10 has revolutionized the way we are experiencing personal computers. It introduced the world to the concept of a free operating system that can be updated regularly to include new features and fixes. In the past, users who wanted to update their operating system had to pay for it, which meant that a lot of people were stuck using operating systems that were already outdated when they bought the computer. Windows 10 combines the strengths of previous iterations with brand new features like Cortana and Virtual Reality capabilities.
How do I unblock Windows Defender in Windows 10?
The brand new Windows 10 has a few issues that need to be fixed right after you have upgraded to the new operating system. One of them is that the users are unable to unblock Windows defender in Windows 10. The most annoying error that users receive is 0x80016BA, which states that “You need to restart your computer to change some settings.” The article will guide you to unblock Windows Defender in Windows 10 without any problems. Microsoft’s Windows 10 operating system and its built in firewall software, Windows Defender, is causing a number of issues for users. In this article, we will discuss how to fix Microsoft’s Windows Defender error 0x80016ba. The error code 0x80016ba can appear for many different reasons, but nearly all of them are due to Windows Defender’s inability to communicate with the firewall. (A firewall controls what data is allowed into your computer and what data is blocked out of your computer.)
windows defender error code 0x800106baerror code 0 800106ba,People also search for,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,windows defender error code 0x800106ba,error code 0 800106ba